Saturday, January 9, 2010

Movie Review: "Did You Hear About the Morgans?"

A pair of self-absorbed, estranged spouses experience an event that forces them to leave New York and seek anonymity in the middle of rural America. But having only each other in this simpler life shows them how strong their love really is when you remove all other interfering variables.

Wait. . . didn't they already make this movie? You bet your ass they did! "For Richer or Poorer" with Kirstie Alley and Tim Allen!

Before I ridicule Hollywood for running out of even moderately good ideas - I must admit. There are differences.

Kirstie Alley and Tim Allen are fleeing a false tax evasion charge and end up in Amish country. Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker are placed in the witness protection program and find themselves in Wyoming.

Either way you have the following equation:
New York socialite - New York + Horses + fresh air = Hilarity

SJP is outstanding in this movie - even if her bangs aren't. Hugh Grant - well, he's the same as always. He has that under bite that makes you want to back hand him and his eyebrows are scrunched in confusion for 1 hour and 43 minutes. But it's still a funny movie.

"Sarah Jessica Parker! You don't need to pack a strapless gown for Wyoming!!!"
"Hugh Grant! You don't know how to be a rodeo clown!!!"
"You two are SO ridiculous!!!"

Okay - it's a simple brand of humor. But I liked it. It made me want to go to Wyoming. Incredible, considering the last time I was in Wyoming was with Matt and I didn't want to touch anything (let's face it. The state is one giant spittoon) and was constantly pointing out things to Matt that are completely uninteresting.

"Look Matty! They talk just like real people do!! And look - that guy is wearing Levi's!! I thought they only had Wranglers!"

Okay - my making a mockery of Wyoming aside - this movie has more to offer than SJP trying to milk a cow. I know what you're thinking. "What more could one ask?!" Well - this movie also features the amazing Wilford Brimley!

EVERYONE loves Wilford. Everyone. The man single handedly made diabetes adorable! ("Diabetus" - Oh, Wilford! That's not how you say it!!)

I gave this movie 4 stars - then took two away for lack of originality. Then I gave one for casting Wilford Brimley (the man could've just stood there and I would've been giggly). I gave another star for not giving Mary Steenburgen a topless scene.

All in all - 4 out of 5 stars.


2 comments:

  1. You mean to tell me that instead of attending my awesome birthday party you went & saw a movie with SJP and Hugh Grant?! I'm gonna go hug my knees and rock in the corner over there and nevermind the tissues, i'm saving my snot and tears in a jar.

    ReplyDelete